Audio Triggering + Mouse Event latency

Anthony Howe anthonyhowe at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 16:07:39 EST 2010

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Just to confirm, the app in it's current state contains ONLY the code to trigger the sounds from the buttons. The only other overhead would be about 200k worth of PNG files as graphics and a buffered qt movie of 100k. Minimal. I started with this function as I knew it may be a challenging area.

The latency occurs on the button sounds whether the qt movie is playing or not, and there's definitely nothin else in the app going on during runtime that I have control over.

The 'audio clip' implementation, per my last post is most certainly the best performing out of all the solutions I've tried so far. So that's good to know at least!

Because the target user scenario is actually destined for the tapping of rhythms on a large interactive whiteboard (mostly by a finger on the active surface, or stylus), rather than a mouse click on screen, the latency we're experiencing is rather magnified.

I've even set up a 'beep' test where we are not triggering the wav files at all. Same result, which really does lead me to believe that the mouse events are simply not arriving INTO livecode on a realtime basis. This is the same if I save out to standalone, so would that render the suggestion about suspending the IDE a bit arbitrary?

I like the 'milliseconds' suggestion to do some measurement  with, I'll try to figure out how to implement that to catch the time it takes a 'mouseDown' to reach LC. Any quick suggestions?

Can anyone offer a quick synopsis on the feasibility and likely performance of perhaps mounting these 'instrument' buttons as a floating window of a smaller size using revbrowser, and then using a flash(swf) file to take care of audio triggering? Given the multitude of examples of mouseevents performing much better in flash, we'll have to seriously consider this option now I guess. It's kludgy, but if it gets the result, it could be acceptable.

Snags /deployment gotchyas / content embedding? Revbrowser?

Can these revbrowser windows be a blank window or do they require some form of browser controls to be displayed I've only read about it (with wariness on the cross platform compatiblity front)?

Thanks again guys.

Anthony.