Creative Common Copyright Notice in Standalones

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Nov 11 20:56:47 EST 2010

Richard-

>> (disclaimer: the Creative Commons License rather explicitly states
>> that it shouldn't be used for software, but that's what I use anyway
>> because it comes the closest to exactly what I want my licensing to
>> say for an open source project)

> Why does CCL have that limitation?

Well, IANAL but here goes anyway. My take on it from the CC web site
is that it doesn't have specific clauses to cover source and object
code.

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_use_a_Creative_Commons_license_for_software.3F

For an example of how ridiculous open-source license has gotten:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_licenses

Here are a few options:

The Eiffel Forum License, version 2
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ver2_eiffel.php