Performance Mystery Solved - IT'S THE DATA STUPID!!

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Nov 11 20:12:32 EST 2010

> Unless you're explicitly purging the stacks, any access to a property of a stack file will load it into memory.  The first access will take a hit only if the stack isn't already in memory, but subsequent accesses should be about as fast whether referring to just the stack name or the stack file path, since they're interchangeable for mainstacks.

Hi Richard

I don't think this is entirely true. At least it wasn't when I was working on the standalone builder all those years ago. There was a massive difference in speed between looping over the controls of a stack if that stack was invisible toplevel compared to just referencing it as a filename. There was a user that was having extremely slow builds because they had so many controls.

Cheers

Monte