IDE/Standalone Performance Issues - A Light At The End of the Tunnel!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 11 14:59:29 EST 2010

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > On Nov 11, 2010, at 11:04 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> So it seems that the overhead of resolving absolute object
 >> references (long form) is much higher than what the engine
 >> can do when you're able to hard-wire part of the reference
 >> (e.g., "...of card id tID...").
 >>
 >> Historically I've often used long IDs for the convenience
 >> of having an absolute object reference without regard to
 >> the type, but after seeing these results I can see that
 >> there's a benefit to hard-wire the type in script where practical.
 >>
 >> Thanks for bringing this up.  Learn sumpin' new every day. :)
 >
 > Yeah, and Peter's issue was that with standalones, the problem is
 > many orders of magnitude worse.

Understood, but as I noted I was unable to measure any difference
between standalone and IDE performance greater than about 0.0008 ms per
call.

At that rate it would take many hundreds of thousands of object
references to see a difference.

<http://mail.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2010-November/148105.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin