Help: Id's can be completly unreliable

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Nov 10 19:00:45 EST 2010

It's my understanding that object ID's inside a stack are maintained by the engine to ensure uniqueness. I would not mess with the ID's at all. I remember back in Hypercard that was a big no-no as well.

About the only use of ID's that I can see would be if you were programmatically renaming objects, and you wanted to reference the same object after the rename with something that didn't change. I know that Trevor uses the long id of a button to define the storage object for sqlYoga, because someone might rename the button and break their own code. But changing ID's is IMHO a bad practice.

Bob