Too Soon

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 17:21:54 EST 2010

My experience is that line endings are automatically handled by some
programs, and differently even on the same platform.

Further, the encoding for the characters varies ( eg.  \r  cr
char(13)  Chr(13) <BR> )

One example is opening some text files in Notepad and Wordpad and
seeing line wrapping variations.

Most system clipboards try to arbitrate the formatting differences
between programs, but each program also does clipboard auto-
conversions.  Perhaps the most elegant application clipboard is
Microsoft Excel, which has to handle text, numbers, cells, formatting,
images, charts, drawing objects, collections of objects, and much more.

 From my experience, the line ending tasks are the responsibility of
the programmer.  Detection logic should be used to make sure that the
user experience and the data handling are done correctly.