[OT] legality of DVD backup

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:06:52 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010 08:58 PM, Marc Siskin wrote:
> Richmond,
>
> One "legal" factor you want to keep in mind is the number of concurrent playbacks per dvd.  The backup argument is only good as long as you have a DVD for each concurrent viewing of the movie.  E.g. 3 concurrent viewings = 3 DVDs.
>
> And all of this is in the realm of non-tested law.  I would get your school's attorney's approval (they should be willing to defend you if you are asked to cease and desist).

My "school's attorney"; ha, ha, ha; as 95% of lawyers in Bulgaria use
pirated copies of Windows
and Microsoft Office on their PCs the last thing I am likely to do is
consult any of them . . .  :)

As I, and I alone, will be showing these DVDs, and I and I alone own
physical copies of the DVDs
I would, in any other, "less bent" country, not pay a lawyer to get
his/her sweaty, vampirical
paws into my money.

As my 'school' is in fact, registered as a "language centre"; i.e.
because it does NOT have separate toilets for boys and girls it cannot
be regsitered as a school; which, paradoxically, means that I operate under
far less restrictions than a language school qua language school, my
"showing" DVDs is legally viewed
as the same sort of thing as running a DVD for one of my kids and
his/her chums in my sitting-room.

I am not really worried about large-scale legal ramifications; just
about the legality of having a copy
on a hard disk (read Ubuntu + k9copy).