serial port problems

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Nov 8 12:03:42 EST 2010

Okay, this may be unrelated, but I have a setup that was using Parallels 4 under Snow Leopard. The guest OS was Windows Server 2003, and the software in Windows was MusicMaster, which (and here's the important thing) was using a USB key to authenticate a certain number of users accessing Server 2003 in a terminal session.

Why is this relevant you ask? Because everything was working like a peach until one day after doing some system updates, the usb key was not connected to the virtual machine. Parallels thought it was, but there was no communication. Unplugging and replugging the USB key re-registered the USB device and it worked for about a day, and then disconnected again.

After having them ship me out a new USB key to no avail, I began to think that maybe it was an incompatibility with the current OS and Parallels 4, but then why did it work for months and suddenly start having fits?? Well I upgraded to Parallels 6 and lo and behold, the problem went away and has not returned.

I think that Apple recently did some kind of kernel change in the way USB devices are registered and maintained, probably as a security update. I would go back and check it in 4.0 (if you haven't already) to see if it actually DOES still work, and you aren't just "remembering" that it did.

Just a shot in the dark.

Bob