Painfully slow performance (Trevor DeVore)

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Sun Nov 7 13:53:46 EST 2010

Thanks for all the input.  I've pretty much ruled out SQLite as the
cause of the problem because I'm using the same database in the IDE
and the standalone so unless the standalone is using a different
SQLite library than the IDE, there shouldn't be any difference in
performance between the two.

Maybe it would help if I give a little more detail as to what is
happening on the card.

The basic design of most of my cards involves a datagrid which
displays summary information about selected table entries.  When the
user clicks on a row in the datagrid, I get the single entry
associated with that row from the SQLite table and load information
from it into controls on the form.  I use naming conventions for the
controls that allow the code to figure out which column in the table
entry they are associated with.

The slow down in performance is directly related to the number of
option buttons on the card - no option buttons, no slowdown.  For a
card with several option buttons, when I click on a datagrid row in
the IDE, the update of the controls on the card is instantaneous.
When I do the same thing in the standalone, the update of the controls
is painfully slow.  This is using exactly the same data from the same
database.

The code to handle option buttons simply executes a SELECT statement
to get data from the database, a simple set statement to set the text
of the control to the data from the SELECT statement and another
statement to set the menuhistory of the control using the lineoffset
function to locate the value of the column in the current table row to
the text of the control.

Help!

Pete Haworth