OT: Some help with Regular Expressions

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:44:39 EDT 2010

Why not do it in LiveCode rather than using regex? Assuming that the
3rd and 9th char of a properly formatted string must be a period, and
all other chars must be alphanumeric:

constant alphNumChars = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789"
constant alphNumPlaces = "1,2,4,5,6,7,8,10,11"

function testFormat strg
    -- format should be: XX.YYYYY.ZZ
    if length(strg) <> 11 then return false
    if char 3 of str <> "." then return false
    if char 9 of strg <> "." then return false
    repeat for each item i of alphNumPlaces
       if char i of strg is not in alphNumChars then return false
    end repeat
    return true
end testFormat

call it with: