a weird thing about registration, Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 11:51:04 EDT 2010

Yes, there is a .revolution folder.  And it does indeed have a cryptic
preferences text file in it.  But what I'm having trouble understanding is
that if I just acquire root permissions, by doing

      su

rather than doing

     su -

Then I retain the same home directory.  So if I then fire up rev, why does
it not find the preference files?  Is it somehow distinguishing between me
logged on with and without root privileges?  And why on earth would they
want to do that?

I can just about understand that if I do su -, which places me in the root
home directory, it might have some trouble.  But I can't understand why if,
as myself, I simply acquire root privileges, it should not find all its
files?

Peter