inconsistent field appearance

Nicolas Cueto niconiko at gmail.com
Mon May 31 21:57:20 EDT 2010

> Windows fonts and Mac fonts aren't the same,

Unfortunately, mine is not a cross-platform issue.

Thanks Jacqueline for the link, though. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

On an aside...

About your article's conclusion:

   "Our recommendation is: in most cases, pretty close is good enough."

My case is not one of those.

The field-object font is intended for young EFL learners, with that
field-object overlayed by two parallel line-objects serving to hilite
the correct letter placement of majuscules and minuscules. And from
long classroom experience, that 2-3 millimetre difference I'm seeing
on Vista vs. XP is a difference that the kids too will note and,
problematically so in the case of some learner types, internalise.

Which in a way accounts too for why I avoid inflicting my whiteboard
chicken-scrawl on impressionable young Japanese minds. ^_^

--
Nicolas Cueto