Rev Stacks on the iPad

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 30 13:27:27 EDT 2010

"I was hoping to directly connect to a computer physically located in the
same classroom. "

Does it have any wired connections?  The reviews seemed to say that it had
neither ethernet nor usb.  So this sounds fairly hopeless.  First there is
no supported version of Rev.  Second, there is no way of distributing the
app to the users even if there were a supported version of Rev.  Third,
there is no way of connecting physically to another machine to run the app
remotely.

The task (which is our task also in a situation with some similarities) then
just becomes to tell the parents clearly in advance that the iPad has
deliberately been made useless by the manufacturer for this particular
purpose.  It is 'defective by design'.   Buy something from a supplier who
has tried to make it possible to install any software you want, and to
connect via ethernet or usb to other devices.  There is no shortage of them.

Our situation is a bit reminiscent, the application needs usb disk mode for
mp3 players, so iPods can't be used with it.  We are running Linux, and we
can't run iTunes, and will not try and support gktpod.  The answer is a
large notice saying that Apple, for reasons best known to itself, has
removed the functionality necessary to use this application from its recent
models, so we do not support iPods.   Sorry.

Peter