Survey Caution

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat May 29 17:26:52 EDT 2010

Recently, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

>> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>
>>> Now; while I'm on this particular soap-box let me have "a go" at the
>>> RunRev documentation:
>>>
>>> the other day I asked a question about how to duplicate a card with all
>>> its controls,
>>> scripts and so forth . . .
>>>
>>> now the reason why I asked this question is because I searched through
>>> the documentation under DUPLICATE and COPY . . .
>>>
>>> now, maybe I'm thick, or maybe it just didn't occur to me to look for
>>> CLONE;
>>>
>>> by why would it?
>>
>> Because it's included in the See Also list for the "copy" command.
>>

> How many people are going to read a set of documentation in such close
> detail?

So you're implying the documentation is not good enough because you choose
not to read it.  Hmmm.

> I program as an exercise in pure poetry, as artistic expression; and how
> many
> painters do you know who read everything written on the tubes of paint??????
>
> Especially the "see also" bits at the bottom of the 'tube'.

To be fair, "See Also" is the 3rd block down in the docs, pretty well "above
the fold".  And if your tube of paint required an operating system to run,
shipped with dozens of example tubes and documentation describing how best
to apply the paint, explaining what media are most suitable for the paint,
then it seems pretty likely you would crack open the docs at some point.

Please.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director