Hard CASE: cracking the nut?

Marty Knapp martyknapp at comcast.net
Wed May 26 21:42:59 EDT 2010

What I have is a standalone that contains template stacks from which a
user creates their own stacks. These stacks are saved outside of the
standalone. I wanted to institute an updating feature, where the user's
stack version is compared to the template (which may have had revisions
from being updated) on launch and if needed to have the standalone copy
the scripts from the template into the user stack, rather than making
them create a new stack. But if any of these scripts exceed the 10
statement limit it will not work. So I stripped the template stack of as
much code as I could, which also minimizes the need for updating in the
first place :)

But this user stack needs access to the standalone stacks and scripts to
function properly, so now I've found that if the user launches the
standalone by double-clicking their stack, that once in a while the
stacks/scripts it needs are not available and I get errors when the user
stack loads. Not always, but probably 1 in 10 times. I've tried a number
of routines to check for this, but these routines need to be in the user
stack and I run into the 10 statement limit . . .

I hope that's understandable!
Marty