Binary files inconsistency

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Tue May 25 01:44:02 EDT 2010

The next version of InfoWallet will support attaching files that are compressed and encrypted when stored. I've noticed that it works correctly with some files but not others.

The script below takes a binary file, compresses it, decompresses it, and then saves it back to disk. I've skipped the encryption part for this recipe because it behaves the same way. It works correctly with .jpg, pdf, and .doc files but not .pages or keynote. Make a new stack and put the following script in a button.

on mouseUp
   answer file "Select a file:"
   if it is not empty then
      put it into lFileToRead
      put URL ("binfile:" & lFileToRead) into vFile
      put compress(vFile) into vFile
      set the itemdelimiter to tab
      ask file "Select destination to save file:" with the last item of lFileToRead
      if it is not empty then
         put it into vFilePath
         put decompress(vFile) into vFile
         put vFile into URL ("binfile:" & vFilePath)
         set the filetype to ""
      end if
   end if
end mouseUp

The saved Pages or Keynote files have zero length. Why is that and how do I make this work with any file?

Bill Vlahos