[SQL][On-Rev] Bulk import into PostgreSQL on On-Rev

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat May 22 06:25:18 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't look at it that way. You can get an all day ticket at
> Disneyland. You can ride all the rides, or just some of them, or none at
> all. You can't get a cheaper ticket if you promise not to ride some of the
> rides. It's kind of like that.

Well it would be if Disneyland offered 'sepecial pensioners' day ticket for
$72. Pensioners, who are unlikely to run around like mad and get on as many
rides as possible, might think that this a good deal and conclude that
Disney are doing the right thing by pensioners - but the normal day ticket
is $72.

[THE ABOVE IS HYPOTHETICAL, DISNEY DO NOT DO THIS]

mySQL offers it's db free for non-profit. If I were a non-profit I would
assume that it would cost me less to use mySQL than for a commercial outfit.
I appreciate that for LAN use, a non-profit can use mySQL free whilst a
commercial adventure has to pay. I'm just surprised that a commercial
enterprise can save money by moving it's db off a LAN and onto a web host
and have someone else pay their mySQL licensing fees.