HyperCard for the iPad

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu May 20 18:34:27 EDT 2010

> http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/apples-app-store-said-to-ha
> ve-99-4-percent-of-all-mobile-app-sa/
>
> I've not managed to find estimates that are more recent, but
> that's a scary ratio for anyone hoping to make money from
> Android apps as an alternative to the iPhone/iPad. :-(

Still seems room for bogus assumptions here.

I havent had a conversation yet with iPhone users who also buy stuff (there
are plenty who simply do not buy anything) that hasn't included them
lamenting all the useless crap available on the App Store.

There are also, I believe a lot of "apps" which are basically a type of
reader for web content, like CNN Mobile - at best something that would be a
desktop widget.

Im sure all the staff picks and even some actual best sellers are quite
good, but I don't believe they represent the bulk of what's available.

The more I hear about 200K+ apps, the more I think its 99% limited value and
1% gems (and I have to admit, Ive seen some cool apps the the iPhone).

I suspect there will be a crap value on Android, and its possible a large
portion of their current 50K+ apps are crap too. But I think someone needs
to put a pin in value expectation party hog of 200K apps (or 50K+ apps for
that matter).

A sort of comparision - I have worked closely with eGames in the past.
eGames is the biggest value games producer in the US, based on titles - the
biggest supplier of "rack jobs". You can buy a disk pack of their stuff for
$10 and get something like 500 casual games. I am certain the number of
titles they produce entirely dwarfs the likes of Apple and Microsoft. But
those numbers do not mean eGames as a software company represents greater
value in the software market than Apple or Microsoft.

Were I to deploy on Android, I don't think Id be focusing on how many crap
apps I can push out there. Instead, Id produce a few apps that have great
singular value and uniqueness that I can then market over the hundreds of
crap apps that are out there. Think about interesting IP like "Plants vs
Zombies" or Spore, where you are selling sizzle.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software