Reading an old Hypercard document #1

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:16:41 EDT 2010

  0306857AHC2.3GS.PDF

"the soundChannel determines the channel on which the next sound
will be generated."

Funnily enough Runrev claims to be Hypercard's natural successor;
but . . .

Ok, Ok, Ok; I can't crack marrowbones with my teeth like some of
my Neanderthal forefathers.

However; I would not describe Hypercard as 'primitive'; a word I
might be inclined to use about Neanderthal hunter-gatherers.

"--------------------------------------------------
set [the] soundChannel to /integerValue/
set soundChannel to value(the soundChannel) + 1
if the soundChannel = 1 then play theTune
integerValue resolves to a whole number in the range 1 through 8.
ThesoundChannelproperty is the channel through which sound is played.
The sound must have been generated by theplaycommand.
Theplay command operates on the current sound channel. By immediately
switching channels and playing new sounds, several sounds can be played
nearly simultaneously. "

Unfortunately I cannot get Hypercard to spin off a standalone to play
"Oh, Why are we waiting?" on QT instruments that will run on any
reasonably contemporary operating system . . . .  :)