HyperCard for the iPad

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Thu May 20 14:57:03 EDT 2010

I agree with Bob here Richard.

On 20 May 2010 19:00, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> RunRev's recent proposed approach would have forced RevMobile to be
> iPhone/iPad only. That isn't the issue.

It is not exclusivity that is being asked for. It does not matter that Rev
was offered for one platform or many. It does not matter that the same game
are developed for iPhone and other platforms - exclusivity is not at all the
issue. The issue is control. Control to ensure that the lockin does not
migrate to any software platform that is offering pan-platform middleware -
whether that be Adobe or RunRev.

The fear is that cross platform development incentivises prioritising the
lowest common development, and the largest installed user base - which by
most accounts will soon be Android. Apple thinks it has an edge by competing
on the basis of design quality and constant innovation in the hardware and
OS - which it needs to trickle down to developers. If a tool maker does not
implement the latest features fast enough then the cutting edge products are
dragged down waiting for the tool makers to implement features, which they
are only motivated to do when the market is big enough.

So the fear, which is justified IMO, is in lock-in to proprietary middle
ware that Apple does not and cannot control. The question I am asking is are
there not other ways to square the circle - and would open source be one of
those ways? If it were then you might expect some of those iPhone platforms
that export modifiable / open source code to be accepted some time soon. Are
there other ways in which a HyperCard like app can be created which does not
involve lock-in out side of Apples control?