Cloud computing: scalable DB

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu May 20 00:57:20 EDT 2010

On 19/5/10 10:04 PM, "Andre Garzia" <andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

> Can valentina hold 6k tables and millions and millions of records? I could
> create a portable version of this system, almost a portable nightmare.

In theory there is no limits.

I have hear about 50-100GB dbs on Valentina.
With many records.

And only once I have hear about 1000+ tables db not so far.

* So far not clear to me - why 6000 tables?
They all really different and implement 6000 objects of real world?
Or this is some "optimization" attempts to split info to reduce by vertical?

* when your mails are generated from DB then

A) how many queries is required to generate single letter?
B) how many tables are touched for this?
C) does different letters touch different tables?
    If yes then where is IF control? In the REV code? Or SQL?

* what exactly is your problem(s) now?

You do not like SQL because you write each day on it?
But then by this logic members of this list should hate REV talk,
and me should hate C++  :-)

* and if your 6000 tables mirror lets says 1000 real world objects and rest
is links between them ... Then you still have huge DOMAIN in your task. Even
if translate this task to some OO language as C++/Java/PHP5/ObjC you still
will need 1000 classes to mirror that real world objects. Right?

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology