Creating Mac standalone on Windows Studio?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 19 12:32:13 EDT 2010

Steve King wrote:

> I know nothing at all of Macs....
>
> I have Rev Studio (windows) and in the standalone builder there is a Mac
> (OSX) tab and when I build my Windows Standalone, I also get a Mac folder.
>
> Is this a Mac standlone of any type? If so, how is it used. What is OSX?

"OSX" is a misspelling of "OS X" ("OS version 10"), the Mac operating
system Apple ships with their computers.

> I never build for Macs, it just happens in the club this application is for
> there is one Mac user. All the rest are windows users.

Unfortunately, Apple's Unix core will require an extra step to deploy there:

The folder you see is what Apple calls a "bundle", and contains all the
parts and pieces the app needs to run, things that are embedded into a
single file on Windows.

Within the bundle at this path:

   /<bundlename>.app/Contents/MacOS/<exename>

...where it says <exename> you'll find the actual executable.  But since
it was generated from Windows it has no executable bit, which Unix-based
file systems need to run a file as an executable.

To make the app runnnable you'll need to copy the *.app bundle to a Mac,
then on the Mac use Terminal to change the permissions on the executable
using chmod.

If there's an easier way to generate Mac standalones from Windows I
haven't found it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World