Playing wav sound file in Linux in background?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 18 15:05:10 EDT 2010

He has a solution, surely, it is to do it from the shell.  His problem is
that when he goes out to the shell, it does not then play in the background.

If he calls the shell command from a separate stack, will it not then leave
the original stack to just go on?  So the effect will be to play in the
background, and leave the user free to interact with the main stack?

Of course, he'll have to handle error conditions in the second stack.

This had never occurred to me till he wrote in, but it might be the solution
to my printing problem.  The problem is similar.  You call the shell command
to print, using lp, but if the printer is offline, everything freezes until
it comes back online and can complete.  But if the print command were to
take place from a separate stack, presumably the top stack would just carry
on running having passed over the shell command to the second one?

Peter