Cloud computing: scalable DB

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue May 18 09:23:51 EDT 2010

On 18/5/10 4:04 PM, "David Bovill" <david at vaudevillecourt.tv> wrote:

Hi All,

* I wonder if anybody from you going to setup your own 1000 computer-servers
cluster(s)?  Like this must do Google and Amazon

If not - then excuse me, guys you have completely different tasks than
google.

* Andrea Garcia points few key-value dbs. Okay, I have jump to Riak,
Have overview its API, have try to read about Query Language ...

<https://wiki.basho.com/display/RIAK/Loading+Data+and+Running+MapReduce+Quer
ies>

And it not looks for me clear ... Easy for development ...
Even near easy as SQL ...

* If somebody DREAMs about API-level access to db data without SQL, welcome
to Valentina DB, which provides not only SQL, but **very reach** API to work
with data on low level actually, about 1000 methods in 40-50 classes.

> I particularly like the idea of not having to get into complex relational db
> design, but using simple parallel tables and doing the joins in the
> application layer ( ie revTalk) - seems the way to go to me - if you can
> break the data into object-like chinks where your parallel queries retrieve
> small quantities of data that you use revTalk to massage - sounds great. Not
> for banks maybe - but for most of the rest of use cases.

* As for me this sounds like usage of API Level ... But it is NOT always
great as you may think.

You really want write in your app layer joins???
In hundreds of places?

Or you will write it once? But then sense? You will just invent a bike which
exists for years in SQL engines... And I thin mature SQL engines will do
this job much better than you will be ... Than more in not super-fast REV
layer.

So for me personally this wow-Key-value-clouds  thread sounds somehow
strange :-)

Once again, that tools are only and only for companies which really
establish incredible by count computer clusters... Do you?

** But if you do not like Relational model, if you do not like SQL,
Again, Welcome to Valentina DB, which provide

  * Relational model
  * Object Relational model
  * Navigational model (remember dbVista?)

And all these models can be used in both SQL and pure API way.

P.S. We - recommend to use API way, mainly for development of apps which
work with local dbs. Then you MAY see speed ups comparing to SQL, because
you CAN do hard-coding of algs in your app layer code because YOU KNOW some
special things about your app.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin