[OT] Installing Linux fonts

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 17 12:09:25 EDT 2010

  [I hope that the thread I am attempting to initiate will, eventually
lead to an understanding of why RunRev does not play 'nicely' with
Linux fonts]

[Ubuntu 10.04  -- Debian deriv.]

1.  open a .ttf font with FontViewer

2. click on 'Install Font' button ;  'Install Failed'

Q1. Is that because I am not root user?

3. attempt to open FontViewer as root:

     got "distracted" by Font Manager  /usr/bin

     click on 'Manage Fonts' blob at the bottom

     navigate to where target font is installed

     on selecting font Font Manager opens and "blow me down"
     it seems the font has been installed as a system font:

4. Open RunRev: and the target font DOESN'T show up . . . um, mumble,
mumble, excrement, and so on.

5.  AbiWord (what my sons call "Shabby Word" - never mind, it will
suffice for now):

      font (Unicode TTF) shows up.

Q2. Could this be because my target font does not have an accompanying
.conf file ????