Using python

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Sun May 16 21:49:39 EDT 2010

Hi,

Out of interest, mainly because I am familiar and comfortable with Python, I
have been trying to work through Bryan McCormick's revUp (50, June 6 2008)
description of working with Python and numPy in Revolution.

I installed ActivePython and NumPy 1.4.1. They work well together in the
Python environment. So the install seems good.

I then checked in Revolution as to whether Python was picked up as an
alternate language. All clear there and I spent some time fiddling with
Bryan's language checking functions just to make sure the language could be
found from within a script- not just in checking from the message box. All
good. Am happy.

Then I went on and tried Bryan's check for the numpy version. The result,
however, was "alternate language not found". Hmm, not all is good. Am
puzzled.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I am missing here? Python is recognised as
an alternate language. I called it using "Python.AXScript.2" as indicated by
Bryan. But something about actually asking it to do some work meant it lost
whatever it said it had found previously.

If someone has a good tutorial on working with Python from revtalk I would
be interested in the link.