Location of stack

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 16 14:35:38 EDT 2010

Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

> Alternatively, is there a way to know in advance how much to twiddle the
> vertical location by? It's 12 in my system, and I assume that's half the
> height of the non-existent menu bar, but I expect that varies depending upon
> the screen resolution or something-or-other, just as it would under Windows.
> There really ought to be a clean way to get a program to remember its window
> location without momentarily appearing at the wrong location whenever it's
> opened.
>
> It surprises me that the menu causes problems on the Mac (including all the
> weirdness about menu items being moved around) that don't occur on Windows,
> given that Rev is descended from Hypercard, a Mac program.

Here is an explanation of how Rev menus work on Mac:
<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/mctutorial/rraboutMenus.html>

Rev will scroll the top of the stack out of view by the height of the
menubar. What appears to be "0,0" in the topleft corner is really more
like "0,26" because the top section of the stack is out of view of the
window frame. The default Rev menu height is 26, so if you set the stack
to the screenloc you will see about what you describe: 13 pixels shorter
at the top and another 13 shorter at the bottom.

That's just how it works. When you set a menubar on Mac, the stack is
visibly (but not really) shorter and its top and bottom edges on screen
will be less than on Windows. If it is important that the top of the
stack be at a particular location, then you can do what Jerry described:
open the stack invisibly and adjust its location on openStack, then show
it. All system messages are sent normally to stacks that are open invisibly.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com