Will revCGI be made available (not just revServer)?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 14 19:14:40 EDT 2010

Lyn Teyla wrote:

 > Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> So since the differences between the v3.5 Rev CGI engine we have
 >> and a new one would seem minimal, what specific features are you
 >> looking for?
 >
 > Our main concern is that any new features and bug fixes that
 > are included with the Rev engine in the future (and quite a
 > few are always listed with each revision as per the engine
 > notes) would no longer be available to CGI scripters if v3.5
 > is going to be the last version of the CGI engine.
 >
 > At this time, v3.5 is indeed still rather up-to-date in terms
 > of core engine features, since it does support the current
 > major features such as multi-dimensional arrays and behaviors.
 >
 > However, if future versions of the Rev engine were to include
 > similarly important features, or say a crucial memory leak bug
 > fix, it would be good to know if these will be made available
 > to the CGI folks.

I never thought v3.5 would be the end of the line for the CGI, just that
v4.0 was mostly about graphic enhancements that aren't relevant to CGI
work anyway.

During this interim the worst we face is a minor inconvenience in
getting the v3.5 engine for use on our Linux servers for those who came
on board with v4.0.

In the short term it would be great if RunRev could post a link to that
engine in some convenient place on their server.

In the long term, things look even better - Mark Waddingham drops us
some tasty hints of the future for RevServer in the latest edition of
the newletter:

Rev Advances on Desktop and Server
<http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/may/issue92/newsletter3.php?id=NW092S29875>

--