Zombie Win icon

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri May 14 09:26:38 EDT 2010

On 12 May 2010, at 10:22 pm, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> I don't know the exact answer, but I've never encountered the problem because I always save standalones into a new folder, and I never replace older ones in a folder with newer builds. I just toss the entire old folder and use the new one. So maybe that's the quick solution.
>
> Alternately, if the thumbs.db file is the culprit, you could try just deleting that. That should force the OS to read the embedded icons in the app instead.

OK.  It seems that I couldn't find the Thumbs.db file because Vista doesn't have them!

"In Windows Vista Thumbs.db file has been replaced by a number of "thumbcache_xxx.db" files which are now located within a user's profile at
\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer"

The zombie icon symptom is normal behaviour for the system:

"...when a graphic is viewed and an entry made for it in the database, it is maintained indefinitely by the operating system. If the file is deleted,
the image will remain unless the file or the entire folder are deleted."

Local Thumbs.db and the finder.dat files have irritated me in the past, and tripped up some of my scripts.  However, suddenly they seem quite sensible compared with a giant, unmodifiable central database.

So.  In short.  Don't do what I did, do what Jacqueline does. (Actually, a good general rule in matters Rev)

David Glasgow