RevIgniter Framework questions

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Fri May 14 03:07:17 EDT 2010

On 13 May 2010 22:36, Chipp Walters <chipp at altuit.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I was wondering if anyone is using the RevIgniter framework in a
> production environment and if they wouldn't mind answering a few questions
> about it?
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Does it only work with On-Rev's servers? That's potentially a deal
> killer.

yes because the programming you use is still 100% Revolution.
Hopefully the Rev server product will be set free soon.

There are pieces in the framework that are done with PHP and javascript, but
all the developer has to use is revtalk and HTML.

> 2. Are there performance bottlenecks with regard to the Rev part, and if
> so, what are they?

Not really, it has intelligent caching and loads only the libs needed just
in time

> 3. How well is it documented and supported?

Extremely well documented - looks like a team did it. Plenty of examples.

> 4. How easy is it for existing RR'ers to learn?

very easy, once one gets the concept:       *Model - View - Controller*

> 5. What does the available pool of Rev developers look like who could help
> write apps using it?

?? anyone

> 6. Are there any obvious security issues?

It appears to be something that was thought a great deal about. The author
obviously is an expert and has worked to ensure this framework is secure.
There is an air of quality and professionalism to the code and docs. The
examples work.

> 7. How complete a framework is it? What type of app is it best used for?

I was having a hard time finding stuff it couldn't do, and if it couldn't ,
it would be easy to accomplish.
It's for web apps, web sites, a CMS toolkit.

> 8. How much Javascript does one have to know in order to use this?

None.

I just really got started with this today, but once I got how it worked, I
got endless ideas about how to use it.

My words are inadequate - you should consider actually taking it out for a
spin.

Chipp, it takes very little time to download and install it. Just create a
new subdomain at On-Rev and put all the decompressed zip file in there. The
docs are built in.