Thoughts on Kevin's announcement [MOT]

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 12 16:35:20 EDT 2010

  MOT: Ministry of Transport / Miles of Topic / Mad, 'Orrible &
Twisted; your choice.

On 12/05/2010 23:16, Andre Garzia wrote:
> Believe me, I can't understand Nietzsche even in Portuguese... and I had
> classes about him at the university...

My son had a Nietzsche "patch" about a year ago, and all our meals were
spoilt
by all sorts of pronouncements about how people who didn't contribute to
society should be shot, and more awful stuff. Luckily my son is 17 and
has now
recovered from his "Nietzchean aberration" and is now taking out his
adolescent
frustrations on the piano and his parents . . .  :(

Perhaps I should also point out that the inventor of Nazism (who was
English, oddly
enough), Houston Chamberlain (married Wagner's daughter), drew on a lot
of Nietzsche's
stuff for . . .  well we all know where that went: millions and millions
of people being gassed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Chamberlain

So, frankly, I don't think I want to understand Nietzsche.

Now; as a holder of a degree in Philosophy, if you really want to read
some philosophy
that doesn't lead one down the garden path to racism, fascism and so
forth why not
try a spot of Wittgenstein:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein

I have been trying spots of Wittgenstein for years, and after about 25,
feel I am just
beginning to understand what he really wanted to say (and I am probably
quite
wrong).

Oh; before I forget:

1. Unicode fonts don't work properly with RunRev and Windows Vista.

2. Fonts and RunRev are enormously problematic with Linux.

3. Nietzsche never played football for Arbroath.