[OT] Licensing question

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed May 12 11:04:33 EDT 2010

Richmond-

> However; he has told me that the disk will install a functioning system
> that will run for
> a month prior to registration, and that I could run it for a day just to
> do my testing
> and then blank the disk; presumably this is no worse than running a Demo
> program ????

My take on this:

IANAL, but my understanding is that the 30-day trial period is there
for that purpose and is fine to do in almost any circumstances.
Almost, because depending on what Vista version it is, the TOS may
prohibit virtualization. Not that there's a technical reason it can't
be done, just that MS decided it *shouldn't* be done. Other than that,
I'd say set up VirtualBox for a Vista VM, install it there, and do
your testing without messing up your running system.

> What I need to do is this:

> Bung Vista on an old P4 1.7GHz, 512 MB RAM I have lurking under my bed;

Rotfl. It's possible you could get Vista Home Basic running on that
configuration, given enough hard disk space, but the other versions
require more memory. And I wouldn't count on it being very usable in
that configuration. My old Vista installation wouldn't install updates
because I *only* had 2GB memory in the system.

> Time for all this (inc. OS install) about 120 minutes Max.

Rotfl. This is Windows we're talking about. I'd seriously think about
investing a full day in the process.

What I'd do in your situation is copy my files onto a flash drive,
walk over to my friend's Vista/Win7/whatever machine, and see if they
ran there. Much less gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net