Check out Jerry's new videos -- REV to ObjC -> iPhone

Randall Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Mon May 10 01:07:40 EDT 2010

In so many ways, Apple has done everyone a favor.  I know, I know.  Hear me out.

1. Objective C is the industry standard, and has the best compilers, it has become the rosetta stone of computer languages.  Only ANSI C is more standard and it is targeted directly to hardware (where objects really don't apply).
2. The world is going to have to build towards a standard eventually that will allow machine discoverable logic.  This is a salvo in that direction.
3. Its not exactly like they choose xtalk or some esoteric proprietary or Apple specific language.  Objective C is open, well documented, universally known, etc.
4. It benefits everyone in computing to begin to separate logic into appropriate layers that transits smoothly from general concept, to white board sketch, to paper prototype, to interpreted scripting, to compiled code.
5. xTalk and RunRev are ideally suited to shine in the real time interpreted scripting strata.
6. By translating xtalk stacks to C source, RunRev would open many many devises and platforms to xtalk users.
7. Done right, RunRev could license this translation tech to other language and IDE purveyors (Adobe, other xTalk IDE's, etc.) who would like to widen the reach of their product.
8. RunRev customers could use this to learn Objective C.
9. Would provide a ramp from stacks to professional development and deployment.
10. RunRev users could take advantage of the best compilers written specific to many different platforms.
11. RunRev users wouldn't have to shrink away from clients that ask "isn't xtalk just a hobbyist's computer language?"
12. RunRev would have a tendency to evolve at the speed of the marketplace as it's product is bound to a larger market at a deeper level.

Randall