Three Years of Rev (was RE: Check out Jerry's new videos)

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sun May 9 11:56:27 EDT 2010

Hi Chipp,

> How would you suggest paying for all of this? Just wondering...
> Do you really think the current revenue stream can prop up
> this luxurious road map?

Cost control is part of the secret sauce that is my...secret sauce. One way
of doing this is through my kind of cost control, but there are other ways.
This is what I would do ;-)

> I personally would rather see RunRev trim their efforts and
> focus better on technologies which can provide best in class
> cross platform solutions.

Cross platform and incorporating a popular handheld device sort of go hand
in hand. I agree that cross-platform is where the focus should be. I believe
supporting Android for example, would increase revenue.

> Even if this means cutting back on the number of initiatives.
> I've never really thought the rev plugin was a good idea, and
> now with Apple's gunsights focussed directly on Flash's
> proprietary plugin, it's easy to see why. Of course if it's
> just 'a compile away' then it's probably no big deal-- but
> that has not seemed to be the case up to now.

I went through the Roadster nightmare with SuperCard years ago so I was a
bit reluctant at first. A lot of changes have happened since then;
programming for it is easier. I agree, as long as it's a "Player in a
Browser" then the risk is minimal.

> Linux? I suppose targeting a specific platform, or two-- but
> does it really make any money? Can a small company like RR
> afford to support and provide free product to a platform
> which generates (my guess) single digit percentage figures of
> total revenue?

It comes back to the cross platform message. The engine itself has to be
there in order to provide Mac/Windows to Linux. The additional investment is
on the IDE. A number of open source initiatives fund themselves through
providing premium support contracts. There is an element of risk here
though, I agree.

> I'd try and shore up the Apache Module, and sell it for a decent
> fee-- especially if there's a work flow aspect to it with
> good documentation. That is where one could raise some money
> quickly-- IMO.
>
> But putting it together with a whole Web App framework, is
> way too much for this crowd and this company. Leave that up
> to the Rodeo's of the world-- it's a HUGE job. You need an
> expert DOM expert, Javascript expert, HTML5 expert, CSS
> expert, cross-browser expert, not to mention a great
> architect and some serious time on your hands to develop a
> complete framework.

I agree, but Id probably do this step by step, much as you suggest above.
Treat this as a 1.0 product, and build upward and outward, knowing the
direction you are going.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President