iRev Functionality

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 11:39:49 EDT 2010

--------------------------
Thomas McGrath III asked:
--------------------------
Where is there a list of iRev commands available?

I just tried revSpeak in iRev and got a handler not found error and would like to know what else is not available.
----------------------------------
Jacqueline Landman Gay responded:
----------------------------------
Virtually everything is available, with the added bonus of a few new terms listed in the change log.
----------------------------------
Mike wonders:
----------------------------------
Jacqueline, is the updated change log available anywhere? I'm most interested in the differences between

1. the most up-to-date reference for irev scripts (the change log I assume)

2. the dictionary that comes with 4.0

3. cgi scripts used with the 3.5 engine

I'm not interested in the syntax. You've outlined that wonderfully in your tutorials. I am interested in new functionality as it comes online.

Thanks as always.

More from Jacqueline:

IRev scripts can contain plain lists of commands without any handler declarations, or alternately the commands can be enclosed in formal ("on" or "command") handler declarations. If your commands are not inside a formal handler declaration, then you will get the error message you saw. Additionally, the server compiles revTalk from top to bottom. Unlike stack scripts where handlers can go anywhere in the message hierarchy, you can't place a handler anywhere you like on the page -- it must be declared before any other command makes use of it. It's easiest to place most handlers above the html code at the top of the page, just to make sure they are processed before any other line of script needs them. This isn't necessary though, just make sure handlers occur before any other line of script that needs to use them.