rev-web, revbrowser, on-rev, Linux, help!

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 9 04:53:40 EDT 2010

Sarah, your new demo applets all seem to work, and very nice too, I was
thinking of some in the past that required the plugin to be installed in
the browser, and of course there wasn't one for Linux.

So basically it goes like this, doesn't it?

We want to write on-rev material, we can, we use a text editor, then we
load it onto the Rev run on-rev server, and it works fine in Linux or
anything else, in any web browser.  Presumably there's a handbook with a
guide for how to do this someplace.  We don't have the on-rev desktop
client which might make life easer, but we can do it.

What we need for this is a subscription to the on-Rev hosting service.  I'm
not thinking of doing this at the moment, so this not going to be
available.  If Rev eventually releases the server package, then it would be
in principle possible to do this on any server where it was loaded, but we
are not there yet.

RevBrowser would, if we had it, display ordinary web pages hosted anyplace
in a stack.  We can't do this because it does not exist for Linux.

The browser plugins, if we had them, but we don't, would basically let us
run stacks compiled for this purpose in a browser window.  They could be
hosted anyplace, not just the Rev server.  We don't have this plugin for
Linux, so we can't do it.

But we can compile such stacks, and people running Windows and OSX will be
able to run them, as long as they install the browser plug in.   It doesn't
really appeal to me, to write apps that my own OS will not run, but I do
understand that it is possible.

Then there is Rodeo.  If we could get Rodeo, it would let us write pages in
a special client, is that right?  And then we could compile them to run in
any Web browser and host them on any server?  But right now we cannot get
that either, because it is only for iPhone OS.

Its a bit confusing, I hope this is right.

Its like, you are on holiday, you go for a long invigorating swim, and come
back hungry to the breakfast buffet, only to realize that the only thing on
it you are allowed to eat is some low fat cottage cheese, and maybe one cup
of unsweetened black coffee.  And the cottage cheese is, well, not exactly
fresh....

Peter