On-Rev v. revBrowser v. revWeb etc. (was: Check out Jerry's new videos)

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Sat May 8 05:46:25 EDT 2010

On 8 May 2010, at 10:30, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> OK, just to be clear, is this how it is?
>
> --  If you have subscribed to the on-rev hosting service, you can
> then write
> and host pages on it, using any text editor, which will allow any web
> browser to run your web apps, but only (at least at the moment) from
> the
> on-rev server run by Rev itself.

Yes, because it's server-side scripting. All the compilation and
execution of Rev script is taking place on the On-Rev server. The
viewer's browser just sees the results of the script, usually as HTML.

> -- if you have the desktop rev-web client, you can debug the pages
> you have
> written for the rev-web hosting service, online.  However, you don't
> have to
> have this to run and manage the pages.

Correct.

> -- If you have revBrowser, you can display any web pages in Rev
> stacks.

There's no revBrowser separate revBrowser product any more, it's part
of the core engine these days. But yes, it's basically a browser
window embedded within your Rev stack.

> -- if you have the browser plugin, you can run revlets, ie stacks
> you've
> compiled for the web, in the browser with that plugin, and these can
> be
> hosted anyplace you can get anyone to host them, including locally.

Yes.

> Is that how it goes?  So if you're running and writing for Linux,
> you can
> write pages for the rev-web server, and they will run in any browser
> on any
> OS including Linux, but the only way to do that is by subscribing to
> the
> hosting service.

Yes. I think the On-Rev engine is still due to be released for people
to install on their own servers at some stage.

Ian