single bit contact closure input [macintosh]

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu May 6 14:52:54 EDT 2010

Hi gang,

I have a situation where I need a  single bit input - on or off ( actually
on only momentarily ) "contact closure" into rev.
I'm looking for an out of the box solution... for a single stack that will
be used frequently.

Let me back up and explain. I'm archiving hundreds of DAT tapes to hard
drive. I want to preserve the indexes on the DATs, by detecting them and
then placing markers on the timeline of the aiff or wav file, that can be
used for separating the selections.

Detecting the indexes already laboriously placed on the recordings over the
years was essential to this archiving process, and can be done with a
hardware unit called the HHB Bit Box.
You run your SPDIF dat stream through this box, and it can detect these
index markers, and closes a relay.

On the mac, I need to detect the contact closure.  This is the gap in the
middle I need to bridge.  This will  trigger an event. The event is used to
send an "M" command by applescript to the application "Sound Studio",
thereby triggering a 'create marker' event on the timeline.

ideas:
I thought I was being real clever when I thought I could use the *
recordLoudness* property to detect an audio threshold, then trigger an
event.
BUT one has to be writing to an audio file while it's running. messy for
something that's running all the time.  x

has anyone tried

1. some hardware point accessible by rev somehow like

audio burst on the modem port?

CTS connecting to DTS on a serial adapter?  (I have the KEYSPAN USB -->
Serial adapter )

2. A small and reasonably priced USB interface box that can work with rev?

3. A cool easy to program STAMP like device that could send packets over
TCP/IP

this used to be so easy on an Apple ][.

Worst CASE
I have hardware stuff I can throw together and connect with serial - I've
done this for years, but it takes hours and soldering and boards and power
supplies, and TIME.
And at my age, squinting. Eye pain. Looking for an easier way. Hardware is,
well, hard. The software part will take minutes in Rev.

thanks for any and all ideas...

sqb