User Extensions/Externals

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 4 21:03:07 EDT 2010

> From: Graham & Heather Harrison
>
> . As I have read (this thread or elsewhere) the handling of
> Externals is different in the IDE and standalones. From the
> discussion between Jacque and Paul this is not straightforward,
> and is not handled in the documentation. It would appear that the
> script as provided would need to upgraded to work in both environments.

It's not the externals that are treated differently between the IDE and a
standalone, it's the fact that in the IDE the application stack doesn't
receive a "startup" message. If you choose to use a "startup" handler to
construct an external name that varies from platform to platform (i.e.,
foo.dll vs. foo.bundle), it will only work in standalones.

However, if you're not making standalones (or are making one for only one
platform), then this isn't an issue, and you can merely set the externals
property of your main stack manually, using the single pathname appropriate
to the platform you're running on.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com