[Data Grid] Row Template confusion

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:40:16 EDT 2010

Hi All,

As far I understand the Data Grid object, there are 2 kinds of Row Templates

1) The row template for DG Forms.
It is composed by a group in the first layer. This group represents the row.
A row in a data grid form can contain all the objects displayed in the form.

2) The row template for DG Tables.
It is composed by two layers of groups.The first layer group represents the row.
This group contains a second layer composed by one group for each
column in the DG Table.
For example if you have four rows in your table, you will have 4
groups inside your first layer group.
Each group contains the object you want for your column (a check box,
an image, a field, etc)

So if I have totally understand, that I find confusing is the location
of the row template button or its state maybe:

1) We have a button to edit the row template in the basic properties
tab. When I create a DataGrid for the first time, default DG type is
Table.
Assuming that I have not read and maybe misunderstanding the doc
(Slugs don't reads very well...), maybe for my project the first thing
I will do is click on this button, drop my objects on the first and
only available layer group at this step, and move to the columns
after.
And then I totally missed the functioning, because when I click on the
button my columns doesn't exists so I can't customize the
corresponding template groups.

2) When I'm in the columns tab, now.
I create a column and I add a custom behavior. By clicking the add
button I open automatically the Row Template window. I open the two
groups, drop my object on it, close and save the window. If I have to
correct something, assuming that I need only a custom object in my
row, I have to go on the first tab, then click on the Row Template
button. After my modification I have to return on the columns tab and
finish to define my columns.

As Data Grid users, what is your first experience with this Row Template button?

Maybe it could be more intuitive:
- to have a tab for DG Forms and a tab for DG Tables with their own
Row Template button,
- or maybe the Row Template has to be disable and be enable only if
the user chooses to create a DG form or have Custom behaviors in a DG
Table.

What Data Grid users thinks about that?

Regards,
--