Changing the Style of Words in Field And Quotation Marks?

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Tue May 4 10:52:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Peter Brigham MD <pmbrig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re: quoted text is treated as one word,
>

> On May 3, 2010, at 7:26 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>  Michael wrote:
>>
>>> Hi: I'm inclined to disagree. I would vote to keep the current behavior.
>>>

>> I could easily have overlooked some simple reason to retain it. How do you
>> use it, generally?
>>

> I'd like to know too, before adding a QC report. What is the advantage that
> you see, apart from the nearly extinct HC legacy issue?

I use this "feature" quite often in almost all my Rev apps. On Windows, when
applications install themselves they update the registry saying how to use
various types of file extensions. For example:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.mov\shell\open\command

"c:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe" "%1"

I use word 1 of that registry value to get the path to the executable in a
way that can also be passed off to the shell function and "just works".

However, some applications don't actually need the quotes (e.g.
c:\rebol\rebol.exe) and therefore don't add them. And it's quite nice that
parsing the first "word" still works there, too.

Now, obviously I could do this some other way, but I find this convenient
enough. And aside from legacy HC apps, there's probably many "legacy" Rev
apps that also make use of this functionality whether or not they come
readily to mind or not.

To be honest, what I'd really love would be a new chunk type called "cell"
or something similar that can take many delimiters into account. For
example, the cell chunk might be able to easily parse CSV tables because it
understands that a comma within a quote shouldn't separate cells.

Jeff M.