Unicode and Windows Vista (repost)

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 07:51:27 EDT 2010

  I am reposting this as it seems to have got lost
amongst the recent cruft. It actually concerns
an aspect of RunRev programming!

Yesterday I wrote:

Recently I had a slightly worrying post from a chap
attempting to use my Devawriter on a computer
running Windows Vista.

The problem is that when Devawriter calls a Unicode
character that is not meant to move the cursor/insert place
forward, merely print something either above or beneath
the preceding character it does not; while printing the
character it also moves the insert forward so that
everything comes out incorrectly.

I tried to duplicate this problem on Mac and Windows XP
(not having access to Vista) and was unable to. Luckily
this chap managed to get hold of a machine running XP
and has had no further problems.

I would be extremely grateful if anybody has any ideas
and/or advice regarding this problem, as it is a real
problem. Obviously Vista does not "play ball" with
Unicode fonts in RunRev in quite the same way that
Mac and XP do.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.