How do I put an image in memory into an image object?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun May 2 22:51:05 EDT 2010

Here is a handler I use for scaling images:

command scaleImage pImgName, pMaxW, pMaxH, pMinW, pMinH, pExpand
     put the formattedWidth of pImgName into tFormW
     put the formattedHeight of pImgName into tFormH
     put 1 into tScale

     if pExpand = true then
          -- expand to fill max limits, maintaining aspect ratio
          put tFormW / tFormH into tAspectRatio
          if pMaxW > tFormW then
               put pMaxW into tFormW
               put pMaxW div tAspectRatio into tFormH
          else if pMaxH > tFormH then
               put pMaxH into tFormH
               put round(pMaxH * tAspectRatio) into tFormW
          end if
     end if

     if tFormW > pMaxW then
          put pMaxW / tFormW into tScale
          put round(tFormW * tScale) into tFormW
          put round(tFormH * tScale) into tFormH
     end if

     if tFormH > pMaxH then
          put pMaxH / tFormH into tScale
          put round(tFormH * tScale) into tFormH
          put round(tFormW * tScale) into tFormW
     end if

     if tScale = 1 then
          -- only expand if the image has not already been shrunk to fit
          if tFormW < pMinW then
               put pMinW / tFormW into tScale
               put round(tFormW * tScale) into tFormW
               put round(tFormH * tScale) into tFormH
          end if

          if tFormH < pMinH then
               put pMinH / tFormH into tScale
               put round(tFormH * tScale) into tFormH
               put round(tFormW * tScale) into tFormW
          end if
     end if

     put the loc of pImgName into tLoc
     set the width of pImgName to tFormW
     set the height of pImgName to tFormH
     set the loc of pImgName to tLoc
end scaleImage

Use it like this:
   scaleImage the long name of img "Pic", 400,400,64,64
or
   scaleImage the long name of img "Pic", 400,400,64,64,true

The first one will make the image sized somewhere between 400 and 64
in both dimensions, but maintaining the aspect ratio,
The second one enlarge the image if necessary to make it as big as
possible within the set limits.

HTH,
Sarah