Rev and the iPad

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun May 2 16:09:16 EDT 2010

  On 02/05/2010 22:52, Malte Pfaff-Brill wrote:
>> RevMobile was priced quite expensively,
>> presumably under the assumption that it was the golden egg of Rev
>> programming products that was finally going to get me that Lamborghini
>> Countach. Now it's a brick, and we need to figure out what to do. We are all
>> very loyal to Rev and its wonderful staff, but something reasonable will
>> have to be done in the face of this disastrous development.
> It is not over until the fat lady sings.
> As there are no fat ladies over at RR, I will patiently hold my feet still and wait what the mothership has to say on the issue.
> Would they had given up, I bet they would have been a lot quicker with their response. So I bet there are smoking heads seeing what can / will be done for
> revMobile. I wouldn´t want to walk in their shoes at the moment, though that there has some amount of time passed raises more hope in me than it destroys.

Steve Jobs hardly qualifies as a fat lady either.

However, I am wondering, in light of the furore, whether some of Apple's
shareholders
won't be singing songs that may grate slightly on Steve Jobs' ears and
he may have to
retract some of what he excluded.

I am sure that this is the fall-out of Steve Jobs and Co. wanting to
squish Adobe, rather than
a desire to exclude more minor players such as RunRev, who are,
unfortunately, caught
in the storm.

I also wouldn't describe RevMobile as a 'brick' (though I would be
wondering about things
had I bought the Beta), as it has been advertised as being capable of
producing software
for quite a number of other platforms besides iPhone and iPad.

I do not think Apple products are the "B-all and end-all", and am well
aware that there are
lots more mobile devices out in the world, and a lot more yet to come;
some of which, I am
quite sure, will put both iPhone and iPad in the shade.

After the G3 iMac there was a slew of PC lookalikes; after the macMini
similarly:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/88014/445876.aspx

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-working-on-an-ipad-clone-2010-4

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eaton/technomix/meet-chinese-ipad-clone-three-months-ago-and-msis-future-one