Cross-Platform encoding issues

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Mar 31 16:53:25 EDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Jacopo Lupi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a cross-platform application based on an postgresql
> database.
>
> The postgresql database encoding is "utf8". The revclient sets the
> "client_encoding" of the postgres session to "latin9" and if it is
> running on mac it translates the data with "mactoiso" or "isotomac"
> functions. I need to set the postgres "client_encoding" to "latin9"
> otherwise I can't retrive text with accents correctly on the
> macplatform.
>
> Everything seems to work fine exept for the euro symbol. I can find
> no way to type the euro symbol in mac and make it readable under
> windows and viceversa.

Yes, the html entity for the Euro symbol is problematic and
inconsistent between mac and windows. But this works on both Mac and
Windows (beware word wrap):

set the unicodeText of fld "test" to uniencode((numToChar(226) &
numToChar(130) & numToChar(172)),"utf8")

> Does anybody know a correct implementation to make the euro symbol
> working in the correct way storing data on a sql database?

So as long as you store the characters sequence corresponding to ascii
226, 130, and 172 in your database you should be able to render them
successfully.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University