Interesting discussion on iPad content

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Mar 30 16:57:24 EDT 2010

Recently, Colin Holgate wrote:

>> Great idea Brian.  This is exactly what GameSalad does -- $99 Express
>> version (doesn't have to be a free app though).  The splash screen does all
>> the advertising.
>
> Currently the splash screen is about 15 seconds long, and so it's giving
> GameSalad a bad reputation, with lots of negative reviews about how long it
> takes to load the game.

Note the rest of my post (which you clipped out) mentions this possibility.
They are admittedly in a beta state.

The flip side of the coin is, with GameSalad you can build game/content apps
that can be distributed in the iTunes store *now*.  They offer a high priced
version that allows you to skip their loading screen.  They allow builds for
both iPhone and iPad.  They have a useful viewer app that allows you to
quickly upload/test on your device, bypassing the whole delete from device,
drag to iTunes, resync process.  And if one is doing any kind of
animation/movement, you can achieve anywhere from 40 to 60 fps.

It is a limited platform: no connection with device APIs or services (it's
intended to make self-contained entertainment apps).  No default UI
elements.  But for what it does, it's pretty good.

I am excited to see where the Rev folks go with revMobile, but in my case I
wanted to start building for mobile devices now and GameSalad is an option
for me.  It's not for everybody.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director