Interesting discussion on iPad content

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Tue Mar 30 14:47:52 EDT 2010

Heather Nagey wrote:

>Thought you folks might appreciate:
>
>http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/03/the-ipad-needs-its-hypercard.html

That is somewhat interesting and I noticed that several Runrev fans
have started putting comments there. (Too much of that and people
will start thinking it is a concerted advertising campaign or
somesuch.)

However, the article seems to be a call for an affordable equivalent
to Hypercard for the iPad. That is, something that would let the
"amateurs and professionals", as the article says, have a really good
tool for creating content. RunRev has this for the Mac and PC,
especially with RevMedia. Unfortunately, no such equivalent is
available for the iPad.

The iPad is such a perfect platform for that kind of tool.
Unfortunately, the tools seem to be targeted at serious developers -
expensive, annual fees, etc. - not the person who wants to
experiment. (I'm not just talking about RunRev here) Apple is also
doing their part to keep the average person out by forcing most
people to learn Objective-C to develop for the iPad and not allowing
executable code to be run on the iPad.

Right now, it seems like the best bet for the average person is
developing a web-based application if they want to target the
iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch market. Not so satisfying since that option
requires an Internet connection and doesn't really allow data to be
stored on the iPad.

I understand the reasoning behind the Rev-mobile pricing. But trying
to convince anyone that Rev-mobile is for the amateurs with the
current pricing model is pretty much a nonstarter, I suspect.
Hopefully, after the development phase is done, something along the
lines of RevMedia (or even a reasonable target like RevStudio) will
be possible to produce to target that audience as well. Maybe there
can be a split for that market with similar restrictions to RevMobile
as in the RevStudio & RevEnterprise products.

The trick would probably be to figure out what can be left out of a
RevMobile-lite - you wouldn't be running full databases, etc. on
there. It could certainly be restricted to running on one platform
per license, such as iPad only, iPhone/iPod Touch only, etc. (If it
is even possible to internally set a flag to do that or at least
automatically generate an error when someone tries to run it on the
wrong kind of hardware.) There could be a slight upgrade fee to
produce universal i-apps that can run on both. Maybe there are other
and/or additional restrictions that would let such a thing make sense?

-Rodney