Printing in Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:43:09 EDT 2010

  Now I'm less sophisticated than Peter Alcibiades and Richard Gaskin
when it comes to computery stuff; but what I do know is that every other
program I have ever downloaded onto my Ubuntu box that "does" text
or images allows me to print to my printer (whether it be connected directly
to the Ubuntu box, shared on another computer via a router, switch or hub,
or via a printer server - tried them all today, just to be bloody-minded).

I also know that I can print directly from RunRev 4 on Mac OS X and Win XP.

So I am not terribly excited about some putative upgrade in "4.5" to allow
one to print to PDF so one can then fudge a print-out from that (especially
if it is going to be an Enterprise-only 'thang'; I can see buckets and
buckets
of RunRev programmers forking out the difference between Studio and
Enterprise for some printing fudge that isn't capable of doing what
everything else can do everywhere else).

 From an extremely selfish angle: if I produce a piece of software that
has  a "dirty, fat PRINT button" on it, I want it to do what it says -
PRINT - regardless of whether it is deployed on Mac, Win or Linux.

But, Hey, I want RunRev to pick up on all the fonts installed on a
system as well; I'm a greedy bu**er . . .  :)