Automatic Builds

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Mar 29 10:21:36 EDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 4:56 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> OK _ I just checked out the latest glxApp
> tutorials<http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/spaces/revolution/manuals/glxapp/lessons/5668-How-Do-I-Package-My-Application-For-Use-With-An-Installer-Or-Auto-Update-
> it seems that you need to use the Rev IDE to create the standalones:
>
> *Note: *Currently you need to build the executables for both OS X and
> Windows before using the application packager.
>
> And that you can't use the glx application packager outside of the
> IDE:
> The application packager would ideally run as a standalone
> application but
> during the packaging process some scripts are modified which exceed
> the 10
> line limit. So for the time being you must package from within the
> IDE.
>
> But it may still be possible to automate from within the IDE? Has
> anyone
> hacked into the rev / and/or glxApp stacks to automate builds in
> cases where
> you need to do this daily? NB - the splash stack approach will work
> in some
> cases, but may not work for revWeb applications, and won't work for
> mobile
> apps!

On the Google Group I handed out a url to an unreleased version of the
framework a few weeks ago. The plugin included with that distribution
has a will that will automatically build standalones for you. Just
look on the General tab. Here is the thread with the download link at
the end:

http://groups.google.com/group/glxapp/browse_thread/thread/c0c7cc1607be2e4b

I added this in when I kept getting customers who complained that the
version info in my executables didn't match the about screen during
the BETA testing phase. If you just update your stacks when you
automatically install an update then your version numbers will always
be out of sync. For this reason I always update both stacks and
executables now.

You will notice that the build button is included with the IDE plugin
rather than the application packager. This is because I have to code
sign the Windows executable before I can send it out to users and I
haven't sat down to figure out if I can automate when running on OS X
and using VMWare.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems