Automatic Builds

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 29 07:10:02 EDT 2010

David Bovill wrote:
> I'd like to set up an automatic build for a project, so that rather than
> manually exporting the stack as a standalone, I would create an interface
> that allowed the stack to be compiled as a revWeb stack (possibly other
> standalones). and then ftp'd up to the web server together with the
> appropriate html. What's the best way to acheive this?

The process by which standalones and revlets are made is handled in the
development engine (v4.0 and later), so RunRev has more security over
that feature and conceivably they could publish the API so we could make
any sort of standalone builder we want.

But that's a lot of work (the engine only handles a portion of all the
steps that need to be done), and in your case you may find it simpler to
just use the messages the Rev standalone builder sends to your stack
before and after the build process.

A savingStandalone message is sent just before the standalone/revlet is
generated, and a standaloneSaved message is sent after.

You could use the standaloneSaved message to scoop up the resulting
revlet stack file and FTP it to your server.

For standalones you can either use the revZip library or on OS X just
shell to disk_util to make a zip file of the standalone, and then upload
that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World